Saturday, July 09, 2005

Brainiacs - part 4

Nodes – in social machines

My first assumption was that a social machine, aca human grid, neural network is a community, where members know each other or are conscious of existence of a particular character. (Not knowing, but recognizing a name, nickname or something.)

BUT it looks like socialcomputing has made it possible to be included in a “social machine” or use the power of a “social machine” with out personal communication. It is enough to use tagged messages and smart search engines. Any one can benefit from socially collected knowledge. (This relates to the idea that communities and networks need a social object to work together. In a way common goal might be enough to motivate a co-operation with out ever developing in to a community.)

I think that we have different roles in different social machines. (We use many networks and have different degrees of commitment. This is the same as in my previous message on McLuhan Global/Glocal.) I did not think so much about the motivation and reasons for different roles. Why do we communicate? Why are we a member of a “social machine”? Why share a link? or any piece of information?

I have an experiment going on a blog called “Health and Wellness” http://akatemia.blogspot.com I am asking people to share their links on online videos about exercising at www.blinklist.com and tag them as “XO”. This started yesterday and no links are share yet:-)

Question is what is an interesting subject to build a community or a social machine for? If you want a big, powerful machine, you should look ideas from journalism. There are criteria for good news. I think that same criteria ably for building a community.

I am not a traditional journalist, but more like a citizen journalist so I can write about issues that I feel interested in. I am confident that people that share similar interests will find this blog in future. I am not changing my issues according to what might be of public interest. (That’s for those who make their living out of blogging or journalism. I don’t mean that if you make a bug, you have to sell out. More like when your not selling, it’s not an issue.)

TrackBack
trackback:ping="//dvreport.com/tb/112088969271853859"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home